Here’s a snippet from Finding Joy, which is Chapter 11 in Spirited: Soulful Lessons on Clarity, Connection and Coming Home (to You).
When did we forget how to have fun?
Between the mountainous to-do lists, the dramas and demands, the rushing around trying to be all things to everyone, the work/ kids/ saying yes/ social media upkeep, we’ve squeezed it out. We’re exhausted. Spent. Maxed out to the... max.
I’ve been toggling with the idea of posting about Fun and Adventure since my recent trip to Japan, and today, as I sat at the park bench, scribbling down notes to accompany the video below, I remembered that Rach and I had written about this very topic in Spirited.
I opened up the eBook, and was surprised to find a few tears welling in my eyes as I scanned through it. Between the photos of me and my soulie (which to me, radiate not only our friendship, but in this case (and more importantly) the essence and intention of the book) and the words that were written with such sheer love and care, I was reminded of a few very, very important things. One of them being the topic of this blog post.
I need super extra double bolded and italicised caps for this, and I don’t think I’m going to get it, but nonetheless…
YOU’RE WORTHY OF AN INCREDIBLE LIFE.
And incredible aint incredible if there aint a little wild adventure thrown in there, ya feel?
So, my Such Different Cherished Ones, go ahead and click play on this video, and once you’re finished there, dive into the rest of this post.
Is this the year you jump out of a plane?
Is it the year you go on that road trip you’ve always dreamt about with your Spirited Sisters?
The one in which you finally learn to surf / snowboard / stand up paddle / skate / ski / dive in the depths of the sea?
Is it the year you make that adrenaline-fuelled trip to New Zealand or Switzerland?
Take that winery tour with your love?
Skinny dip at night? (In the ocean)
Okay. That’s the big picture stuff. The stuff that’s going in your Adventure Calendar. But what about day-to-day play?
I asked my incredible Facebook tribe to help me out (far out you guys are awesome), and share how Fun shows up in their lives. The response was ridiculously awesome and I felt compelled to share them with you here. Feel free to start fizzing and feasting on these ideas, my friends! (You’re going to see some recurring themes here. Think of them as Universal Joy Cues :) )
- Galloping around the lounge room with my love, laughing our heads off.
- Dancing while driving in the car when an awesome song comes on... Pump up the volume and dance your heart away without worrying what other drivers might think.
- Singing loudly and poorly (on-purpose) in the car, at home, on the balcony. Dancing it out between client sessions. Busting out into weird dance moves. Going to a festival and dancing in the rain. Ok, dancing, full-stop. Talking in funny accents with my husband. Playing with my nieces and nephews - on the floor, rolling about. Swinging - kiddies park + me, we are good friends. Laughter... the belly ache kind. To me it's not so much about 'what' I'm doing, but the feeling behind it. Light... Bubbly, Fizzy, Ecstatic
- Running through the sprinkler with my man on a hot afternoon - giggling like kids!
- Having a play wrestle fight with my love....this totally makes me smile!
- Dancing, festivals, handstands and cartwheels on the beach, travel adventures, singing and seat dancing to really loud songs in the car with my sister, playing tackle Frisbee in the ocean, sprint races on the sand, running in the rain, getting dressed up to go out, dinner out with besties, big family pizza nights around the wood fired oven... and generally anything that scares me a little but that goes fast... horse riding, downhill bike riding, theme park rides. Yay!
- Summer water fights!
- Trying to cook but ending up more making a mess and lots of giggles.
- Dancing, water slides, mango daiquiris, leaping screaming off a bridge into our local waterhole, dressing up, paddle boarding, back yard cricket in the rain...
- Chasing my son around the backyard. His giggles are worth it!
- Spontaneous snowball fights, dancing like fools in the lounge room instead of tidying up, lazy mornings in bed that turn into tickle wars! Just thinking about it brings a smile to my dial!
- Hula hooping!
- Making chocolate chip cookies with friends and eating them afterwards, painting, playing fetch with cats (it can happen), tickle fights, jumping in leaf piles...
It’s about movement! It’s about the mouth-watering marriage of dance and movement and voice. It’s about embodying your emotions and your essences and letting them live through you in beautiful moments of sweet, saucy surrender. And it’s about forgetting that you’re an adult every once in a while; that you’re more than any role or temporary identity you’re currently fulfilling in your life.
A few final statements and reminders.
I want you to know that I recognise that the very nature of Play is spontaneous. It defies plans and overt structure and shows up in our lives like little butterfly kisses from the Divine. I get that. But I truly believe that many of us need a little nudge in the direction of Planned Play, if only to grant ourselves the time and space to feel it. And I mean really feel it, ‘cause guess what? What you focus on, expands, and the more you’re feeling those light, buoyant, freeing sensations of fun and play, the more you’ll take those spontaneous opportunities to say YES. YesDammitYes!
Remember: Healing isn’t FUN. Personal growth isn’t FUN. Don’t get me wrong - they can be. Spiritual practice and yoga and cleansing can all carry an undercarriage of such beautiful joy and meaning, and I’m not discounting that (but you already knew that). What I want you to do here is get in the habit of chasing down the giggly, nervous, heart-pumping brand of fun. You know?
It’s not a reward system. It’s essential. Thanks for the reminder Susana :)
So, if I may, I’ll offer you another snippet from Spirited. A prayer. A declarative request. An intentional statement, but this time I’ll jazzy it up with an invocation for Fun (you’ll find that in the bold).
Making the Ask.
I ask the Spirited life to reveal itself to me.
I ask that any blocks be removed, and that only the best possible outcomes show up in my life.
I ask that the Universe be persistent with me, and provide me with the courage I need to move forward. I ask that it throw me curveballs of fun and adventure, as well as the side serve of strength it may take for me to grant myself the permission I need to let loosen my grip, open my arms, and welcome in ecstatic joy, fun and play.
I am ready now.
I’d love to hear from you below.
1) Share with us a chunk of time you’ve just deemed Awesome Adventure time.
2) What does FUN look like to you? (Let’s add to the list for those that shimmy on by this post.)
And, as always, all shares and comments received with absolute love and gratitude.